Monday 13 January 2020

Stereotypes

You will think that in this modern day people have "seen it all". Social media brings all things human into our houses and into our hands. So why is it that cross racial families still draw so much attention? It is so long since democracy and change were established in our country that you would assume tolerance of another race is common. Why is it then that when I am seen with my children, people stare and think I crossed to the "other side". The same applies to my husband. When we are together, most of the time, people are much more tolerant of our mixed race family. Yet, there are sad individuals that stare with utter disgust on their faces. To those individuals I have a message.... 

"That little girl that you glared at, last night. has the biggest heart and has shown in her lifetime, more compassion towards people and animals than I ever thought possible. That little girl has a heart, emotions and intellect far beyond her age. She has much higher emotional intelligence than you would ever imagine. I feel rage when I see your disgusted face but I feel even worse knowing that your picture perfect daughter had shown the same disgust. Not only could you not achieve any maturity within yourself, you have let your prejudice procreate. 

This country has come a long way in accepting other races in our lives but the boundaries of prejudice is still firmly in place. I can only pray that God protects my children`s eyes from inhumane staring.... and when the day come that they do notice, that they will remain the better human being.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen and that precious little angel, and her younger sister, shows love and kindness even to those who treat them like they are "less than..."